Saturday, November 8, 2008

Lighten up

All right, so I have been a little heavy here lately. A lot of stuff to spew about I guess. Well, until I tried to fix my leaky tub faucet, my day was great (I will not share my plumbing experience with you today, I'll save it for after it has been fixed... don't hold your breath). My soccer team has made it to the playoffs and today they played two games. They won them both which means we go on to next week and if that's a win then it's the semi-finals. Amazing team that I was blessed with this season. My son doesn't get along with them though because, although they play well, they are little assholes (if you can call a couple of 9 year olds assholes...). Most of them are good guys but 3 or 4 are mean. I cannot tolerate meanness. It puts me in a bad spot and my son too. I don't want to fight his battles for him but at the same time I can't allow them to tease him. I want to punch their little faces when they start picking on him and he sometimes starts it so that's hard too. In any event, they play really good so we keep winning. We are 8 wins, 2 ties and 2 losses for the season so far, that's really good for their age group. Today was one of those days where as a coach and a parent I was really proud. The second game had a little conflict over the score. The other team thought we had tied. They somehow lost track of the fact that we had four goals and they had three. How do you not know that we scored when I jump so high in the air and scream my lungs out so loud that the neighbors in the town next to us can hear me and feel the earth shake? They said that they believed us though and they just thought that we had tied. I was like... ok, review your video tape and let me know. They decided not to contest it though. They were actually really nice guys and later after the game the assistant coach told me that he thought I was a really good coach and that my team was awesome. That really made me feel good. I am a good coach. I love coaching these little assholes (ok, I really shouldn't have called them that, it's not their fault that their parents allow them to treat my kid like crap... they will learn when my boy grows up and beats the hell out of them what it feels like...). I love watching them get excited when they score or when they assist and give each other high fives. I love to see these guys use the moves that we've taught them at practice and watch them race for the ball or pass to each other when they see the chance. It's really changed my life. I sort of got suckered into coaching last season when we signed my son up. It took us a couple of years before I finally got him to sign up for soccer but when we did, it turned out there were not enough coaches. I got a phone call a couple of weeks before the season started and was told that if they couldn't find a coach they would have to refund our money. I gave all the excuses that I could come up with and then after an hour and a lot of thought, I called back and said what the hell, I can do this. Well, two seasons later, here I am. Now I'll coach his teams every year and live vicariously through my boy. The way the kids look up to me and thank me at the end of the season, and the parents who tell me what a great job I've done with their kids and how I am the best coach they've ever had etc. etc. (I don't know how much of that is really true but it sounds great to me and my already enormous ego...). I even coached both my son and my daughter's team last spring (luckily soccer was not really her thing and she decided on ballet). Coaching two teams was really hard. I kept calling the boys team the name of the girls team and I got all the parent's names confused. My old stoner brain cannot handle too many things. Anyway, the season is almost over and I can safely say, I'm kind of glad but really sad too. With the election over and soccer over, what the hell will I do now? I will try to keep this blog interesting and expressive (although this particular entry is probably not too exciting). I will try to save all my aggressive thoughts and opinions for this space and I will find new and fun things to share with all who care (I do realize that's not many...).

No comments: