Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Evil wins for now

The "Crazy Christians" have succeeded for the moment. We will fight this and we will prevail. The Constitution cannot be changed just because a movement of fear mongers have decided this is their cause. I felt so fueled by this proposition and my anger of seeing all of these bumper stickers and lawn signs really got hold of me. When I saw people attached to the signs, standing on street corners screaming and waving with their children, it really hit me hard. To know that a lot of my customers and neighbors and some of the people that I work with voted yes on this discriminatory, hateful and wrong thing just blows me away. I really have to question things. I served so many customers yesterday and I was so nice and positive and happy to each of them and what is so sad is that probably 1/4 of them, even more maybe, are totally against me and the life that I live with my family. Those people are disgusted by me. They think that I am sick and awful and deviant. People that I talk to every single day, people that my children invite to their birthday parties, people that have known me and my family for years. That is sick, awful and wrong. How can anyone who knows me and my family vote against the chance that me and my wife would have to raise our children without fear and without worry about our rights being questioned? It hurts my feelings. I can go to the birthday parties and the camping trips and pretend that it doesn't bother me, I can decide not to talk about religion and politics at these get-togethers and just pretend that it's all OK but is it? I mean is it OK to hang out with people who think that your lifestyle is unfit for the title that they and their husband or wives are allowed to use. Is it OK to allow your children to play with the children of these discriminatory and hate-filled people? Is it discrimination on my part to not hang out with these people or allow my children to play with theirs? I was thinking that the logical me says to just ignore their opinion and stay friends with them because we've had good times together and the emotional side of me says the same. Then I wonder which is the logical feeling and which is the emotional feeling? Logically I should not hang out with them? Emotionally I am invested in my beliefs that these people are wrong but I am emotionally attached to their friendship. What a dilemma! Why do I have friends like this? I don't really have a lot of gay friends and the gay folks that I am friends with don't have kids so it's not like we would do the same types of things with them that we do with the non-gay families. Not all of our straight family friends think that we are wrong but even one or two voting against our right to be married just seems crazy. I always used the term "it's against my religion" as kind of a joke but some people take it way too serious. I mean, not eating meat on Fridays is one thing but denying a person a fundamental constitutional right because somewhere in the Bible it says so is completely ridiculous. It also says that when your daughter is the right age, sell her off into slavery. And the Mormons... the frigging Mormons, they are polygamists for Pete's sake. I only want one wife, one family and one chance to preserve our relationship under the law so just in case something happens to my wife, my children legally stay with me. If, God forbid, anything happens to one of them, I can take care of them legally and allow the Dr's to take care of them, and when either my wife or I die, we are protected under the law. I want to be able to say my children and my wife and not have anyone question that title.
This will not pass. They will not win. They will try and they won't give up, but they will not win. God loves me and my wife and our family. God does not want the constitution changed and Arnold Schwarzenegger will veto this bill and the right to marry will be given to all consenting adult human beings whether it's in a church or not (this does not mean people will start marrying dogs or farmers marrying sheep...as so many ignorant people believe). We will be treated equally, there are too many of us to be held back.

No comments: