Sunday, February 22, 2009

Spring Soccer

Here we go again. I have a soccer team and our 1st game is March 1st. I have a hard time wrangling up helpers in the spring. Everyone has different priorities in the spring leagues. There's basketball practice, baseball, art class?, track and anything else that results in kids not able to go to practice. Spring break is another awesome thing that usually means I have like 4 kids for that Sunday game. Sweet. I had higher expectations for this season, I'm an optimist and was thinking positive about my spring team. Well, guess what... I scheduled a "meet n' greet" and 1 person showed up... 45 minutes late. ONE PERSON! What is that about? Anyway, Lukas and I wiped our tears and moved on. So practice,... 2 kids showed up for practice... getting closer now. I have a need for a referee, an assistant coach and a team parent. The assistant has stepped forward, the team parent has stepped forward but do I have a ref?... no, so guess who took the ref course yesterday?... that's right, me. Coach and ref. that's friggin' dedication right? The sad part is, I will probably have to ref my own games and have my assistant coach coach the game. That sucks because I like to coach. I'm not a ref, I'm a coach! Well, I have practice on Wednesday and I think most of the kids will show up. Spring is really just for fun and there's no playoffs or recording of scores and I'm just going to make it fun. It just irritates that people sign their kids up and don't commit. That's frustrating for me because I put a lot of effort into giving these kids a chance to learn and grow and play. At least I got some really sexy referee shorts and long black knee socks to wear. Look out!
Hopefully this will be a fun season and win or lose, we will have a good time!

No comments: