Wednesday, October 29, 2008

happy to see like minds

Whoo Hoo!!! I saw some "No on Prop 8" folks on the corner of a busy intersection tonight. Yeah! I was so happy to see that. I honked and screamed and praised the Lord for their hard work (let's get one thing straight, I am not a Bible beating holy roller but when praise is needed, I do give it out...). I also signed up to stand with them in the coming week. I have children so I'm not all about running around town throwing myself in front of cars to advertise "No on 8" or screaming out "I'm here, I'm queer, get used to it", but the least I can do is help in the one proposition that actually affects me.
My girl and I have not gotten married yet, we plan on it, but not right away. Our marriage is not something that is going to change our lifestyle all that much. We already have a wonderful family and what I would consider excellent family values but it's still something that we will soon be allowed to do. I didn't care too much about the actual wedding certificate until George Bush became our President and decided to run our country with The Bible instead of The Constitution. When I suddenly felt threatened by his belief system I had to say "bring it on". He became the fuel for my fire. And now, here we are, it is legal now to get married to the love of my life and Bush is almost out but... another set of "haters" trying to tell me how to live, love and raise my children. When will these people learn that my life is not wrong, my views are not sinful and my personal choices are exactly that, personal.
The folks I saw tonight understand. The people on the corner, they know. Gay people are not bad, gay people are fabulous (and sometimes annoyingly flamboyant...not judging just an opinion). My point...I am happy to have seen those people rooting for the underdogs!!! We might have a chance. Yeah!

No comments: