Wednesday, October 29, 2008

what do i call this?

I don't dislike Christians. I don't dislike Mormons or Catholics. I don't expect them to dislike me. I was baptized, made my First Holy Communion and I was Confirmed in the Catholic church. I believe in God and Jesus and all of the things that us Catholics are taught on Sundays. I do, however, question things. I do think freely and rely on my brain for some of my decisions and I try not to judge. I call myself a "recovering Catholic" because I no longer feel guilty for every little thing I do and I no longer try to use Jesus or God as my reason for some of my choices.
Logic is something that God gave to us and expects us to use. To say that the Earth was created 2,000 years ago instead of millions of years ago is not logical. To say that dinosaurs don't exist because the Bible doesn't mention them is absurd. I could be incorrect about the Biblical explanation of dinosaurs but I do believe their bones have been recovered from the ground, yes? Some of the religious groups that are trying to change the textbooks in our children's school so that only creationism is taught is very offensive to me. God would like us to have knowledge of ALL possibilities. He wants us to believe in many things, not just one. God is many things and ignorant is probably not one of them. The religion that I follow is Truth, Joy and Love. Whether I am Catholic, Jewish, Mormon or Christian; Truth, Joy and Love are the things that matter. Like a circle, these things need each other. Like mankind needing water, shelter and food.
Too many people follow the Bible literally. The Bible is a book of stories. The meanings behind those stories are sometimes wonderful and worth telling, but some people take these stories as total and complete truth and that is not fair to God. Our creator, whether it is named God or the Higher Power or Buddah or Imagination or Karma, is a fair and loving being. Like a candle off of a flame, we all light our own rooms and using the brain and logic that God gave us is our duty as Humans on this Earth. The leaders of our church's here in the United States need to be careful what they preach, their followers are scared of Hell when Hell is actually right here on Earth and in some peoples hearts. The preachers should stop reading the Bible word for word and start listening to their own logic.
I am worried when I send my children off to school. I want them to be spiritiual and live a life filled with love. I don't want them to be judged by their belief system and I don't want them to be questioned about the deciscions that their parents make. I know that my God loves me and created me the way I am. I know that the God that created me is proud of me and doesn't want me to be "saved" from the things that the Christians call "wrong and deviant and the work of the Devil". My God is funny and clever and loving. My God is the same God that created the Christians who hate and judge me and he is not as happy about their "wrong, deviant and devilish work" as he is about my passion and love for my lifestyle and choices. He forgives them and I pray that they are "saved" from their judgement and passion to dislike me.

No comments: